Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Spluttering during acceleration when warm.  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Mkirkup13

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
Re: Spluttering during acceleration when warm.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 12:28:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mkirkup13 [+]
With regards to the Powercommander, because it has decat headers will it require an o2 eliminator?. There are no sensors in the exhaust system at all. I do not have a clue what an o2 eliminator looks like or where it will be on the bike. I have very recently bought the bike with the exhaust system and PC already installed, so trying to figure out the system.

Bought a Haynes Manual and it shows me where it plugs in. Its on the RHS side of the bike, where the idler adjuster is. Mine has got the o2 eliminator installed. Its a small white cube shaped plug that has a resistor on it.

Offline Mkirkup13

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 12:34:45 PM »
I split the fuel pump yesterday, although been informed you cant on pre 2014, and it came apart fine. with the 3 little screws removed its only held together by the friction of the orings. surely enough the fuel strainer was made up solid with what looks like very fine metal hairs. have purchased a repair kit off ebay for 20 quid, which includes the strainer, new viton orings and pump.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KEMSO-Intank-Fuel-Pump-for-Kawasaki-Ninja-ZX10R-ZX-10R-ZX1000-2008-2018/273127515645?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Hopefully this will sort it. Will keep informed.

Online maccmike

• SX God
  • 4 wheels move the body but 2 wheels move the soul
  • Bike: Z1000SX Black
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 02:19:22 PM »
Very interesting, good to know repair is possible. Have you any pictures?

Online Starsky

• SX God
  • Bike: '12 Titanium ABS
  • City / Town: County Down
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 04:44:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by maccmike [+]
Can't answer that, all I know is Kawasaki deem it as a non replaceable part on the 2011 to 2013 bikes. If ever I experience any problems of this nature I will be trying a 2014 on pump as this does have a replaceable filter apparently.

I've replaced the fuel filter on my '12 - despite Kawasaki saying the filter on the Z1000SX is not replaceable - it's the same one as the GTR1400. I think was about £17.
Amon Amarth - Mäktiga gudar, i gyllene salen...

Offline Mkirkup13

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 10:13:59 PM »
Well.. fuel pump repair kit came today. Was quite impressed with it actually, especially for £20. Put all back together, been out on the same route as I last rode it, and started spluttering again at pretty much exactly the same place. 🤬 Surely if it’s was anything to do with the PC map or ignition it would be a problem from the start.. The only variable with it running good or shit is the engine/water temperature, which leads me onto a suggestion previously given in that the issue could be the engine temp sensor, meaning that the ECU thinks the engine is still cold when it’s hot. Any of this make sense?

Offline Foxy

• SX Master
  • Bike: Black 2011 SX AB
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 05:35:07 AM »
It did sound a bit odd that when the engine was cold and using the most fuel (whilst running rich) that it was ok, as that wouldn't normally point to fuel starvation.

Like you say it could be temperature sensor or o2 sensor would be more likely I would suggest but it's just a guess  :027:

Offline Mkirkup13

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 05:47:53 AM »
The bike has a decat exhaust, and the o2 sensor has been removed. I’ve checked where the sensor plugs into the loom and an ‘o2 eliminator ’ Is fitted. So rules that out. It’s a shame the Kawi doesn’t have water temp on the display.. ☹️

Online Starsky

• SX God
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 07:59:16 AM »
When you say spluttering - is it like it's  off a cylinder?

Offline Mkirkup13

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 09:51:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Starsky [+]
When you say spluttering - is it like it's  off a cylinder?
Couldn’t say not 100% but I don’t think so. Not sure if it will help, but I’ll do a Gropro POV video tomorrow to try and demonstrate.

Online Starsky

• SX God
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 10:12:19 PM »
I had an episode of contaminated fuel last summer (hence replacement of fuel filter as above). Like yours the bike spluttered when warm as if a cylinder was off. Seemingly was something to do with dirt still in the fuel injectors.  I run some BG 44K cleaner through the fuel system and from that has been as good as new. Maybe worth a try? Was £23 from Amazon.  :028:

expletive