Active Topics


Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Recommendations please  (Read 2397 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Shandy

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 431
  • Bike: ‘16 Z1000SX Blue
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
  • Country: UK
Recommendations please
« on: May 15, 2018, 02:18:07 PM »
Hi all,

I know there’s a lot of pages around suspension and setups, etc.. however, I’ve been reading a lot about suspension on different pages and how a good setup can really make a difference to our SX’s.

Since picking up the bike back in October it’s been raining pretty much every day. I’ve been able to handle it commuting and doing pretty much motorway miles throughout.
However, the weather is now finally improving and although covering pretty much 4000 miles up till now, I’ve just managed to get out on a few rides for pleasure and finally got to see what the SX is like to ride in anger.
Unfortunately it hasn’t been entirely pleasant, I’ve started suffering some confidence issues especially turning at speed.

I’ve now realised that my original OM tyres are pretty much square, which is obviously contributing to a lot of the problem and I’ll be changing them for much better probably Road 5’s soon.
However, I’m also considering a proper suspension setup to go with them and hopefully get the bike properly dialled in for me.

Like most people I consider suspension to be one of the ‘dark arts’ and wouldn’t even consider attempting to adjust myself.

I spoke to my dealer and he suggested HM Racing. I’ve spoken to them on the phone and they seemed very knowledgeable and knew exactly what sort of service I was after and how to go about it, including measuring height and weight etc...great! They quoted £90 +VAT which I thought was reasonable enough although, he did mention the possibility of needing new springs, etc.. so naturally I’m starting to think ok so I can see this getting expensive!  :oh_no:

I also tried Slipstream Tuning, based on an old recommendation I heard about from somewhere before. They didn’t really give the same impression of knowing what I wanted doing or that interested. He did however quote me £55 (VAT not mentioned), for an hours labour to do what I wanted, which is considerably cheaper.

It’s your opinions I value the most as fellow SX owners.  :028:
So has anyone got any experience of Slipstream Tuning or HM Racing? Or indeed any other good places in the southeast?

Really appreciate your help,  :828:

Offline Konrad

  • SX Member
  • **
  • Posts: 70
  • Bike: 2015, Green
  • City / Town: SW London
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 03:25:26 PM »
Hi Shandy,

Just to throw one more option into your basket: Steve Jordan Motorcycles in Surrey, not too far from where you are based then:

http://www.stevejordanmotorcycles.co.uk/suspension.asp

£70 inc VAT. They have very good reputation.


Online Shandy

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 431
  • Bike: ‘16 Z1000SX Blue
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
  • Country: UK
Re: Recommendations please
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 05:01:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Konrad [+]
Hi Shandy,

Just to throw one more option into your basket: Steve Jordan Motorcycles in Surrey, not too far from where you are based then:

http://www.stevejordanmotorcycles.co.uk/suspension.asp

£70 inc VAT. They have very good reputation.

 :828:  :460:

I’ll add them to the list, I work in Crawley, so Not too far from there and £70 is a good price!

Still open to advice and opinions for any of these places, please  :187:

Offline Wolfie B

  • SX Member
  • **
  • Posts: 15
  • Bike: 2017 CLG ABS
  • City / Town: Eastbourne
  • Country: UK
Re: Recommendations please
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 07:00:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
I’ve now realised that my original OM tyres are pretty much square, which is obviously contributing to a lot of the problem and I’ll be changing them for much better probably Road 5’s soon.

I was in a similar situation - no real confidence in the OEM tyres (even though I've used Bridgestones on my previous bikes and had no issues), particularly when cornering - and considering getting someone to set the suspension up for me.

Last week at the 3,800 mile service I had the tyres (which were starting to square off) changed for Metzeler RoadTec 01s, and in the 100ish miles I've done since, it's like riding a different bike. Turn in confidence was immediately so much higher, and the bike is now an absolute joy to ride.

I'm now re-considering whether I need to worry about getting the suspension set up.
2002-2010: 1997 Suzuki Bandit 600 | 2010-2017 : 2009 Yamaha Fazer FZ6 S2 | 2017 on : 2017 Kawasaki Z1000SX ABS Tourer in lovely, lovely Candy Lime Green

Offline Foxy

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 704
  • Bike: Black 2011 SX AB
  • City / Town: Leeds
  • Country: England
Re: Recommendations please
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 07:42:28 PM »
I'd definitely change the tyres first Shandy. They have a massive impact and even when half worn you'll notice a significant difference going to a new set. If you're still not happy after that then get the suspension setup (if it's not something you'd tackle yourself - there are some good guides on here).

If it still doesn't work for you then I can recommend a front end re-valve and re-spring from Maxton circa £550 and a Nitron NTR2 with remote preload - circa £900. A lot of money if you change bikes regularly but if it's a keeper then it's worth it IMHO and you can also get a reasonable return on the rear shock on the second hand market if you decide to switch.

Online Shandy

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 431
  • Bike: ‘16 Z1000SX Blue
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
  • Country: UK
Re: Recommendations please
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 08:51:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wolfie B [+]
I was in a similar situation - no real confidence in the OEM tyres (even though I've used Bridgestones on my previous bikes and had no issues), particularly when cornering - and considering getting someone to set the suspension up for me.

Last week at the 3,800 mile service I had the tyres (which were starting to square off) changed for Metzeler RoadTec 01s, and in the 100ish miles I've done since, it's like riding a different bike. Turn in confidence was immediately so much higher, and the bike is now an absolute joy to ride.

I'm now re-considering whether I need to worry about getting the suspension set up.

 :828: Wolfie   :460:  :461: the tyres are the main issue and will most likely fix the majority of the problem. However, even before the tyres went off I’ve had issues with the suspension. There’s a few really nasty bits of road on my commute that I can’t reasonably avoid and I’ve had enough of the bike trying to throw me off over the ruts and bumps!
There’s a lot of talk on here about suspension and the difference a good setup can make. As mentioned, I’m not brave enough to have a go myself. And I’m interested to see just how much of the problem can be dialled out.

Suspension setup is something I’ve wanted to do on previous bikes but never did, so I’m determined to get it done whilst she’s still newish to me and before the PCP is over. It’ll be nice to have a personalised setup and to know how to adjust for carrying luggage and/or pillion.

I’m planning to get tyres before suspension setup so I’ll compare how much of a difference it makes compared with new tyres

Offline Dartagnan

  • SX Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 145
  • They be treacle mines out the back..
  • Country: england
Re: Recommendations please
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 04:41:33 AM »
Ignoring pre load for now. Due to the state of the roads these days and the confusing hand book. I have set my comp and rebound to the softest maximum settings and it now rides incredibly smoothly and don't have to hang on for dear life when the road surface decides to turn into a plowed field.

Offline burty

  • SX God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2061
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
  • Country: UK
Re: Recommendations please
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 10:05:53 PM »
HM racing are excellent.  Thoroughly recommended.  He will do you a set-up with recommendations for any upgrades.  They are expensive though.  But they are just around the corner from you.

If you fancy a trip to Ashford then TAGG racing in Bethersden come highly recommended, and I believe a little more budget friendly, although I have never used them myself.

You could just start by setting the sag on your bike, which is fairly easy to do, but you will need a willing helper and a tape measure.   This has the advantage of being essentially free, but you don't get the benefit of an expert to provide you with the confidence that it is done correctly.

2011 Z1000SX, in GREEN, owned since September 2011.  50,000 miles, MCT tweaked front suspension, Maxton Rear shock, heated grips, MRA dark sport screen, PDoiler, Scorpion Serket Exhausts.

Online Shandy

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 431
  • Bike: ‘16 Z1000SX Blue
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
  • Country: UK
Re: Recommendations please
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 08:52:26 PM »
 :460: :828:

HM Racing currently sitting in pole position.  :830:

Still open to any reviews of the other two mentioned; 'Slipstream' & 'Steve Jordan'

Online Shandy

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 431
  • Bike: ‘16 Z1000SX Blue
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
  • Country: UK
Re: Recommendations please
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 09:01:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Foxy [+]
I'd definitely change the tyres first Shandy. They have a massive impact and even when half worn you'll notice a significant difference going to a new set. If you're still not happy after that then get the suspension setup (if it's not something you'd tackle yourself - there are some good guides on here).

If it still doesn't work for you then I can recommend a front end re-valve and re-spring from Maxton circa £550 and a Nitron NTR2 with remote preload - circa £900. A lot of money if you change bikes regularly but if it's a keeper then it's worth it IMHO and you can also get a reasonable return on the rear shock on the second hand market if you decide to switch.

 :828: Foxy  :460:

Tyres and service are definitely first on the list. (4000 mile service is just a tyre kick service I know, but it's the dealer stamp I'm paying for really due to PCP agreement).

Unfortunately, I am a serial PCP player and due to my high mileage, I tend to change bikes quite often.
I do really like the SX and hope to keep it longer than previous bikes I've owned. (Another reason I'm bothering to get the suspension seen to at all) But It's not worth a huge investment because I always fast approach the mileage limit of the finance deal, before the years. Meaning in the past I've had bikes as little as 16 months and as yet, I've never had the same model twice.
Thankfully, I've got a longer term and higher mileage limit on the SX so I hope to keep her for at least 30 months. I'm currently 6 months in, and loving it! :celebrate:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:06:41 PM by Shandy »

 


expletive